Following the death of someone significant in our lives, we all experience different types and intensities of grief. Whilst most of us will grieve at some point in our lives, not all of us will require bereavement counselling to help cope with that grief. So how do you know if you need bereavement counselling? And what is available in the Leicester area? If you can answer yes to 3 or 4 out of 6 of the questions below, then you may benefit from bereavement counselling:
- Is grief stopping you from doing your usually daily routine? (i.e. not able to work, no social life, unable to complete household chores, no interest in personal well-being)
- Is the thought of the person that died still so painful that you cannot bear to think of them?
- Have family and or friends expressed concern for you or how you are coping with the death?
- Are you feeling stuck and unable to move on with your own life?
- Was the death complex in some way? (i.e. murder, suicide, accident, death abroad, military death, multiple death or death of a child)
- Has it been more than 9 months since the death occurred?
Whilst any grieving person may have been able to answer yes to all of the above questions at some point the most important questions to ask yourself is: is your grieving stopping you from completing your daily routine and do you feel that the time has come to try and move forward then bereavement counselling could be for you?
Grieving takes time and unfortunately no one can say how long it will take but if you feel unable to move forward then why not contact Therapy Services – Leicester. We specialise in bereavement counselling and can provide a safe and supportive environment to explore the issues you are facing and gently help you to find a way to live with your grief whilst still enabling you to enjoy your future.
If you’d like to talk to someone feel free to call Therapy Services – Leicester on 01509 769137 or email Nicola@therapyservices.org.uk.